Post by on Aug 6, 2013 6:17:26 GMT 5.5
Anything written by anyone will be incomplete as far as Saint Ramanuja is concerned. How can anyone confine and define God the Unlimited within a “limit” that too with our very very limited Understanding power. The following is only a collection of some facts about the great saint from some sources
Sri Ramanuja was born with the Rasi Karkataka and the time of birth was exactly at noon in Chithrai month with star Thiruvadhirai - Yogam =Ayushman, Karanam = Bhadra, Gotram = Harita, Saakha =Yajus, Sutra =Apasthambha and Sect = Vadama, Paksham = Sukhla, day = Panchami, Friday. Corresponding English date 13.04.1017. He was the most important philosopher-saint of Sri Vaishnavam and one of the most dynamic characters of Hinduism. He was a philosophical as well as a social reformer, displaying a catholicity that was nearly unparalleled in Hindu religious history before him. He revitalized Indian philosophy and popular religion so much that nearly every aspect of Hinduism has been influenced by his work. His life and works show a truly unique personality, combining contemplative insight, logical acumen, catholicity, charismatic energy, and selfless dedication to God.
HIS AVATARA AND EARLY DAYS
Ilaya Perumal was born to Kesava Perumal Somayaji Dikhsitar and Kanthimathi Ammal at Sriperumpudur. Just as Sage Vasishta on seeing the brilliance in the face of the child named him as Lakshmana saying "Lakshmano Lakshmi Sampannaha", Periya Thiru malai Nambi struck by the Tejas of the child, named him after Lakshmana as Ilaya Perumal. (PPM) aka Ilayalwar.
There is a sloka in Yadhavaachala Mahatmyam which says:
Ananthah Prathamam Roopam Lakshmanascha Tathah Parah |
Balabadram Thritheeyasthu Kalou Kaschit Bhavishyathi ||
(meaning) It is the same who was Adhisesha first, Lakshmana after and Balarama in the third who is born as Sri Ramanuja in the Kali yuga. This Kaschit is taken by our Poorva Acharyas as referring to Ramanuja (PPM
Vriddha Padma Purana presages his incarnation thus:-
" Long, long afterwards, the Lord himself will come down on earth as a Tridanda Sannyasin, to restore the good law. At that time heretics and men of perverted intellects will confuse the minds of the people. Aasuric Saastraas, based upon fallacious arguments and various schools of thought, very attractive and almost indistinguishable from the Vedanta, will turn away mens' hearts from Vishnu and cause them to forget His glory. That glorious incarnation will, through the good fortune of the Lord's devotees, come down upon earth, to explain and amplify the teachings of the great Sage Baadaraayana and the divine singer of the Gita. The holy one would compose a Bhaashya on the Vyaasa Sutras, to save men from the confusion and despair caused by spurious doctrines and lead them to the True faith" ( Vide p.44 of GLE)
While still a boy , he lost his father and was living with his mother at Kanchipuram under the protection of one 'Tiruk kachi Nambi' This Nambi was believed to converse and was on 'speaking terms' with Lord Varadaraja in the Archa form.
EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF SRI RAMANUJA
(1) Within 16 years of age, he had mastered all the Vedas and Sastras. At age 17, he married Rakshakaambaal ( Tanjammal, in Tamil) (PPM)
(2) Ilaya Perumal was placed under the Advaitic Sannyasi called YADAVA PRAKASA at Tirupput kuzhi for training in Advaita Purva Paksha Sastra of Vedanta. Once during this period, Alavandar who desired nominating Ilaya Perumal to succeed himself visited Tirupput kuzhi, met with him but had no opportunity to speak to him and had to return to Srirangam.
Very many occasions arose when the Saivite Guru clashed with Ilaya Perumal when the Guru misinterpreted Vedantic statements. Ilaya Perumal fearlessly pointed out the errors in the Guru's interpretations and corrected him. This enraged the Guru. Fearing that one day, Ilaya Perumal would demolish Advaita philosophy, he plotted to kill Ilaya Perumal by drowning him in Ganga while on a pilgrimage tour of the country with his disciples.
Learning of the design through one Govinda, another disciple who was also related to him, Ilaya Perumal slipped out into the forest at dead of night. Miraculously, an aged hunter couple appeared and guided him. As Ilaya Perumal who was in a trance, opened his eyes, he found himself at the outskirts of Kanchipuram and the couple had disappeared. He realized that it was Lord Varadaraja and Perundevi Thayar who had come in the guise of the hunter couple. He stayed at Kanchi for a while to assist Tiruk Kachi Nambi in his daily chores of service to Lord Varadaraja.
(3) News came that Alavandar was very sick and he desired to meet with Ilaya Perumal. Just as Tirukkachi Nambi and Ilaya Perumal arrived, they saw the funeral procession of Alavandar. During the last rites, they noticed that three fingers of Alavandar remained folded signifying three of his last unfulfilled wishes. As Ilaya Perumal swore
( i ) that he would write a commentary on Veda Vyasa's Brahma Sutra
( ii ) that he would perpetuate the memory of Vyasa and Parasara and
( iii ) that he would strive to propagate Visishtadvaita on the lines of the 4000 holy collects of Alwars, the fingers unfolded one by one automatically and stretched out to normal position signifying that these were his last wishes. Since he could not meet with Alavandar, he returned to Kanchi without even going into the temple at Srirangam (PPM)
(4) Tirukkachi Nambi obtained from Lord Varadaraja the famous ' Six Words ' and passed them on to Ilayalwar. The six words provided the guidelines for Ilayalwar to follow. They were:-
( i ) that Lord Narayana is the Paramatma.
(ii ) that the individual souls were different from Paramatma.
(iii) that Prapatti is the means to attain salvation.
(iv) that the last remembrance of the Lord on the part of the departing soul was not necessary. (v) that Moksha can be obtained only on laying off the mortal coils (Videha Mukti) & (vi) that Ilaya Perumal should take refuge at the feet of Periya Nambi.
Accordingly, he met with Periya Nambi at Madurantakam , where under the shade of Vakula tree Periya Nambi performed Pancha Samskara to him. As he was initiated into the esoteric of Dvaya Mantra at Madurantakam, the place came to be known as "Dvayam Vilaindha Tiruppathi" (PPM) Both returned to Srirangam and did Kalakshepams on Brahma Sutra etc. for sometime. It was at this time that Lord Ranganatha called him "Nammudaiyavar" (He is ours).(PPM)
(5) Ilaya Perumals was not a happy married life. His wife never understood either his greatness nor appreciated his catholicity and always acted on her own wavelength and there was no compatibility as between them. Several instances are cited wherein the lady ensconced in her own in her own pet ideas of being holy or otherwise showed scant respect to Bhagavatas and this greatly annoyed Ilayalwar. When he was about 30 years of age, Ilayalwar took Sannyas with the name of 'Ramanuja Muni'. He was the king among Sannyasis. Hence, he is called ' Yati Rajar'- a honorific invested by Lord Devaathi Rajan.
(6) The seat of Acharya at Srirangam was lying vacant without a successor to take over. He was prevailed upon to assume charge. But, before doing so, he wanted to equip himself with the secrets of the three great Mantras. For this purpose, he approached one " Tiruk Koshtiyur Nambi" who made him come several times before actually instructing him. He cautioned Ramanuja that he should not give out the secrets to all and sundry and if he did so, he would go to hell.
Immediately on receiving the instructions, Ramanuja climbed up to the top of the steeple of the temple and proclaimed to the large gathering of his disciples assembled there the purport of the instruction.
The popular belief that he gave out the Mantras is not correct; What he actually gave out was that he had found out the way to attain Moksha through the three great Mantras and invited those who sincerely wished to follow him and get initiated. Also, he did not advise all and sundry as assumed by some. By the time of this episode, he had already gathered a huge following of disciples who congregated at the main entrance to the temple and he was thus addressing his own disciples (as explained in a separate posting in this series). This is another less known fact about the well known Acharya Tirukkoshtiyur Nambi was so enraged and demanded an explanation. Ramanuja replied that he did not give out the secrets and even if he had transgressed the specific warning of the Guru, only he himself would go to hell but the multitude of humanity that listened to his clarion ' wake - up' call would be saved spiritually. The Guru was overwhelmed by this reply . Embracing Ramanuja appreciating his broad mindedness, he called him 'Emperumanar'- " O! My lord" and declared that Srivaishnavism would thenceforward be known as " Ramanuja Darsanam"- ' the light of Ramanuja'
(7) Yadava prakasa, his old Guru had by then returned to Kanchi, became Ramanuja's disciple assuming the name of 'Govinda Yogi'
(8) Ramanuja used to go round the streets for his Biksha. An evil minded fellow had mixed poison in the biksha. His wife while serving the biksha fell at Ramanujas feet with tears in her eyes. Ramanuja understood that there was something wrong. When the Sishyas sorted out the biksha for cooking, they found out that poison was mixed with it. Ramanuja went on a fast with a view to cleanse the mind of the evil-doer. On hearing this, Tirukkoshtiyur Nambi rushed all the way to Srirangam. When Ramanuja heard of the coming of his Guru, he rushed to the banks of River Kaveri to receive him. It was the height of summer. Ramanuja ran towards him in the hot Sun to receive him and fell at his feet on the burning sands on the banks of river Kaveri. Nambi did not ask him to get up. Such was his Acharya Bhakti. At that time , Kidambi Aachaan, who was nearby told Nambi " Your action (in not asking Ramanuja to get up) is worse than the poison mixed in the bikshai". Such was the Acharya bhakti of Ramanujas Sishya !(Like master, like pupil !). Tirukkoshtiyur Nambi exclaimed, " After all, now I can cast off my physical body since I have found one who would take the greatest care of Ramanuja"
(9) Ramanuja traveled throughout the country spreading the message of Visishtadvaita. Once a votary of the ' illusion theory' Yagna Murthi by name confronted him for 16 days in endless arguments and counter arguments. Finally, he accepted defeat and became a disciple of Ramanuja assuming the name of 'Arulala Perumal Emperumanar' and wrote 'Gnana Saram and Prameya Saram'.
(10) One of the most important disciples who was totally devoted to Ramanuja was Kuresan also known as ' Kurattalwan'. Once, Kuresan participated in the shradda ceremony performed for his mother by the famous Tiruvarangathu Amudanar. This Amudanar was in charge of the Srirangam temple. When Amudanar inquired what Kuresan desired as reward for his participation, Kuresan replied that the administration of the temple should be handed over to Ramanuja. Amudanar, who had already known the greatness of Ramanuja was only too glad to hand over the key to Ramanuja. It is this Tiruvarangattu Amudanar who subsequently wrote the Ramanuja Noorrantadhi of 108 verses which was included in the holy collects to make up the total of 4,000.
(11) After Mastering the Bodhaayana Vritti of Sage Vyaasa, he wrote several works like Vedanta Sangraham explaining the various viewpoints of Sankara, Yadhava, Bhaskara and others, Vedanta Deepam, Geetha Bashyam etc.
(12) During Panguni Uttram, he did Prapatti before the Divya Dhampathi in Serthi and submitted his famous Gadhyatrayam (comprising Saranagathi Gadhyam, Sriranga Gadhyam and Sri Vaikunta Gadhyam ),
(13) Later, he wrote a Grantha called Nityam detailing the Tiruvaradhana Kramam
(14) While he was on his Sancharam, it is believed that the Lord himself appeared before him at Tiruk Kurum Kudi as a Srivaishnava got Samasrayanam from Udaiyavar (PPM)
(15) When he visited Saraswati Peetam, Goddess Saraswati was so impressed with his commentary on Brahma Sutram that she named it "Sri Bhashyam" and conferred on him the title of "Bhashyakaarar". It must be noted that while the other commentaries are known by the names of their authors like 'Sankara Bashyam' written by Aadhi Sankara, the commentary of Ramanuja is always referred to with the venerable honorific 'Sri' denoting its unsurpassed quality and clarity and known as ' Sri Bashyam' (PPM)
(16) When he visited Tirumala, a miracle happened. Some argued that the Lord of Tirumalai was Saiva param. It is surprising that such a claim should have arisen about the Lord who had been worshipped as Lord Vishnu by all the Alwars and Acharyas besides Elango Adigal and other Tamil Pulavars for several centuries. This was because the Lord had earlier entrusted His insignia to a King called Tondamaan. (SAA p.57-58). The Lord desired to take back from Tondamaan, these insignia viz., Sankhu, Tiruvaazhi, Soolam, Damarukam etc. They were placed in the Sannidhi the previous night. And, when the doors were opened the next morning, the Lord gave Darshan adorning all his insignia (PPM). Ramanuja was hailed as " Appanukku Sangaazhi Alittha Perumaal" Poet Arunagiri himself sang clearing all doubts in this regard saying "Ulageenra Pachai umaiyanan, Vada Venkadathil Uraibhavan, Uyar Sanga Chakra kara Thalan"
(17) Ramanuja "was the greatest synoptic thinker which the world ever produced to systematize Visishtadvaitic philosophy, faithfully interpreting the ancient knowledge in tune with the letter and spirit of the text in the light of revelation and experience tested by stern logic"- [- Hon'ble Justice K.S.Krishnaswami Iyengar of the High Court of Judicture, Madras in his foreword to Desika Prabahandam( P.31) published by Lifco Associates, Madras- 3rd Edition, 1982. ]
(18) His magnum opus is his wonderful commentary on Vedavyasa's Brahma Sutram and a simpler commentary thereon called Vedanta Saram. Kuresan was very helpful in publishing his works. Thus, he fulfilled his FIRST PROMISE to Alavandar. It is this Kuresan (aka) Sri Vatsanka Misra who wrote the famous Pancha Sthava consisting of Athi Maanusha Sthava, Sri Sthava, Varadaraja Sthava, Vaikunta Sthava and Sundarabaahu Sthava.
(19) He asked Kuresan to name his two sons after Veda Vyasa and Parasara and thus fulfilled his SECOND PROMISE to Alavandar. It was this Parasara Bhattar who subsequently wrote the famous commentary on Vishnu Sahasra Nama as ordained by Ramanuja.
(20) Another disciple of Ramanuja was Pillaan. Once, when Ramanuja was alone mentally reciting a particular hymn of Tiruvoimozhi, Pillaan entered his room and inquired if he was meditating on a particular hymn. And, it was indeed the one Ramanuja was actually meditating on!. Ramanuja decided that Pillaan was the person best suited to write a commentary on Tiruvoimozhi. As ordered, he wrote the famous 'AARAAYIRAPPADI' (the commentary known as the 6000 Padi also known as Bhagavad Vishayam) and called Pillaan as 'Tirukkurugai Piraan' after the name of Nammalwar. He was also known as Kurugesar and Braathru Thozhappar. Thus, he fulfilled his THIRD PROMISE to Alavandar. He was one of the Sri Bhashya ubhaya Simhasana Adhipathis.(PPM)
(21) Kulothunga Chola was a staunch devotee of Siva. He commanded Ramanuja to come to his court with a view to enlisting his support to establish the superiority of Siva over all other deities. (including Vishnu ). If the support was not forthcoming, the king was planning to kill Ramanuja. Sensing the danger, Kuresa (Koorathazhwar) went to the court disguised as Ramanuja along with another disciple called Periya Nambi. The king ordered him to sign a document to the effect that 'Siva is the greatest'. Kuresa added that ' Sivam was no doubt great but Dronam was greater than Sivam'- both expressions referring to units of measurement. The enraged king ordered both of them to be blinded when he came to know that he was Kuresa who was impersonating Ramanuja. Periya Nambi was tortured to death while Kuresa survived. Kuresa, though he himself was blinded, was happy that he had saved Ramanuja. It is this Kulothunga who is reported to have thrown away the idol of Govindaraja in the sea. Ramanuja recovered it and had it installed at Tirupati.
(22) While on an itinerary, Ramanuja noticed an officer of state, by name Danur daasa, a hunter by birth was over -concerned and over- protective about the beauty of his wife who was walking along on the hot sands on the banks of the river Kaveri. Ramanuja offered to show him something more beautiful than his wife and took him to the proximity of the image of Lord Ranganatha. Danur daasa was enraptured by the charm of the Lord and became a disciple of Ramanuja assuming the name of ' Uranga Villi Daasar'. Ramanuja never entertained any caste distinctions and was conferring his benedictions even on the lowliest of the lowly whom he called 'Tiruk Kulattar'.
(23) Ramanuja went to Tiru narayana puram in search of white clay paste used for applying caste marks by Vaishnavites. The idol of the temple there had been taken away by the muslim invaders and was being used at play as a doll by the muslim princess in Delhi. Ramanuja went to Delhi and when he endearingly called ' Come on! My dear child 'Selva Pillaiye Vaarum', the idol miraculously came onto his lap. Ramanuja reinstalled it in the temple.
(24) Once some kids were playing on the road pretending to construct a temple, installing an idol of the Lord, offering fruits and flowers etc all the time using the dust on the road for the purpose. They offered some mud as prasadam to Ramanuja who was passing along , he received it with due respect. He remembered in this connection the words of Poigai Alwar who said that the Lord took whatever name and form his sincere devotees wished and in the instant case though the kids were only playing, they sincerely believed in what they were doing.
(25) Another disciple of Ramanuja was Vaduga Nambi who put the sandals of his Guru along with those of the Lord. When questioned, he replied that the Acharya's sandals were for him as holy as those of the Lord. When Lord Ranganatha was coming on his rounds on the streets of Srirangam, Vaduga Nambi remarked that the eyes that had seen the charm in the eyes of Ramanuja would not be able to appreciate the beauty of the eyes of even the Lord.-'En Amudinai Kanda Kangal Marronrinai Kaanaave.' Such was his devotion to his Acharya.
(26) Ramanuja arranged to make a lifelike idol of himself and embracing it invested it with his powers and had it installed in Tirumalai at Tirupati. The only temple consecrated in Tirumalai , other than that of Lord Venkateswara, is that of Ramanuja.(SAA p.58) The Archa moorthi of Ramanuja known as "Thaan Ugantha Tirumeni" was installed in Tirunarayanapuram.
(27) Once, when he visited Tondanoor in Hoysala State, he happened to meet a Jain king called Devarayan. His daughter was possessed by a demon and none could get rid of her predicament. When Ramanuja's SriPaada Theertham ( water consecrated by association with his feet) was sprinkled on her,she was cured of the devil. The King pleaded to be accepted as Ramanujas Sishya. Ramanuja accepted and named him "Vishnu Vardhana".
(28) Ramanuja nominated 74 Acharyas to succeed him. It is he who instituted the 13 day "iyal oshti in Srirangam." (PPM)
HIS ASCENT TO PARAMAPADAM
With his head on the lap of Embar and his feet on the lap of Vaduga Nambi, Ramanuja breathed his last in 1137 AD listening to the recitation of the Divya Prabandam.
Born in PINGALA year, he left for his heavenly abode also in PINGALA year that followed 120 years from the year of his Avatara. Thus, he lived TWO full cycles of Tamil years after his birth
PLV places the date in Saaka era 1009, Pingala, in the month of Magha, the 10 th day of Sukla Paksha under the constellation of Tiruvadirai and at noon ( as in the time of his birth).
TKG notes that Lord Ranganatha and Periya Piraatti bathed and purified themselves as relatives do.
PRA avers that he died on a Saturday
VAC places the date as 4238 Kali yuga which corresponds to 1137 AD.
PTA, however, states that he lived for 128 years and died in the year Durmati in the month of Vaisaka.
Again, Research scholars may fin ways to piece together all these information to arrive at the correct date.
His physical body is preserved even today in a sitting posture in the Sannidhi (Sanctum Sanctorum) dedicated to him on the southwest corner on the fifth round within the Srirangam temple as ordered by Lord Ranganatha himself.
The whole world is aghast at the feat of preservation of the mummies of Egypt and the body of St. .Xavier in Goa in India and make so much fuss about them.
Even some Srivaishnavas are not aware that here in Srirangam. their holiest place hailed as ' Bhuloka Vaikuntam' ( Heaven on Earth) lies preserved the body of Sri Ramanuja in all its pristine state unostentatiously, without any fanfare or publicity and without using any of the chemical preservatives employed by the Egyptian and Goan models.
Swami Desika in Sloka 10 of his Yathiraja Saptadhi pays obeisance to Bhagavad Ramanuja thus before proceeding with his eulogy.
Pranaamam Lakshmana Munih Prathi Grihnaathu Maamakam |
Prasaadhayathi yat Sookthih Svadheena Pathikaam Sruthim ||
(meaning) I beseech Sri Ramanuja whose Srisookthis claimed the acclaim of the Lord and adorned the Upanishads to kindly accept my Pranams. There is another famous Sloka which says :-
Thasmai Ramaanujaaryaaya Namah Parama Yoginae |
Yah Sruthi Smrithi Sutraanaam Antharjvaramaso Samathaa ||
(meaning) I bow to that Sri Ramanuja, the great Yogi who became the very soul of Vedas, Upanishads and other Sutras.
There is absolutely no doubt that Ramanujacharya was a Mahapurusha. However, despite his greatness and the respects he commands from us, it is painful to see that he he was unable to appreciate the lofty philosophy of Adi Sankaracharya. As regards the Bodhayana-vritti, I understand that there is a claim that Ramanujacharya borrowed the Bodhayana-vriiti from an unnamed person in Kashmir for only one night and that one of his disciples made some notes from that text (whatever he could do) during that night, as the book was to be returned in the nest morning . The Bodhayana-vritti has never been seen by anybody else nor any verse of that has been quoted by anybody else. So the status of Bodhayana-vritti is at best like that of the Brahma-Tarka of Madhvacharya, which only Madhvacharya claimed to have seen like the Brahmatarka of another savant Madhvacharya,
How ever many times, we read Swamy Ramanuja's charitram, it apears as it is new and exciting every time. Here are a few glimpses.
Many incidents in the Life of Swamy Ramanuja were held when his age was being in the multiples of 2 examples
2 x 8 = 16th year - Swami got married & entered gruhasta ashram in (1033 AD)
2 x 9 = 18th year - Swamy accompanied by his guru Yadhava Praksha went to Kasi yatra in (1035 AD)
2 x 16 = 32nd year - Swamy under took Sanyasa ashramam at Kanchi & became “Yathiraja” in (1049 AD)
2 x 32 = 64th year – Swamy won over Yagna moorthy after 18 days debate in (1081 AD),and gave him the title “Arulala perumal Emperumanaar who gave us Gyana saaram & Prameya saram
2 x 35 = 70th year - Swamy along with Koorthalwan in(1087 A D) and others travelled to Kashmir to get the “Bodhayana Vritti” to author Sri Bashyam
2 x 36 = 72nd year - Swamy Ramanuja blessed us with “Sri Bashyam”, “Geetha bashyam”,”Vedantha saram”, “Vedantha Deepam”and “Vedanthasangraham”.& also started his divya desam Yatra in (1089 AD)
2 x 37 = 74th year - Swamy became acharya to “Thirukurungudi Nambi” and named the lord as “Vaishnava Nambi” & established “Ramanuja Matam” there in (1091 AD)
2 x 38 = 76th year – Swamy got his titile as “Bhashyakarar” from Sri Saraswathi Devi (1093 AD )
2 x 40 = 80th year – Swamy Ramanuja leaves Sri Rangam,(1097 A D) due to Kirumi Kanda Chozan and travels to Karnataka (Mel Naadu)
2 x 41 = 82nd year – Swamy Ramanuja with the help of the King Vishnu Vardhan located the moolavar lord
Thirunarayanan in the year Bagudhanya (1099 AD) & performed consecration at Melkote.
2 x 50 = 100th year – Swami Ramanuja with Mudaliandan in the year Helavilambi (1117 A D ) did Pancha Narayana Pratishtai which constitue Keerthi Naryanan, Sriman Narayanan, Veera Narayanan, Vijaya Narayanan & Kesava Naryanan
2x 60 = 120th year – Swamy Ramanuja completed his task in this Bhooloka, and entered the eternal abode Sri Vaikuntam, on the Pingala Year (1137 AD)
In his death bed Sri Ramanuja is said to have articulated 82 statements to his disciples. Given below are the excerpts, translated from "Sri Ramaanujar," pi. sri, sudhEsamitthiran, pp. 250 - 259, aagaStu 1964 .
1. Serve God and God's devotees. Serve all devotees without regard to their status.
2. Have faith in the teachings of AchAryAs.
3. Do not succumb to sensual pleasures.
4 & 5. Do not put your conviction on trivial saasthraas, have conviction on the saasthraas that deal with God.
6 - 8. Protect yourself from the five senses.
9 & 10. Praise the name of the Lord and AchAryAs.
11. All the knowledge you may have will not protect you if you choose sensual pleasures.
12 & 13. It is not enough to control your sensual desires, you must surrender to the Lord.
14 - 17. Do not be disrespectful of sri vaishnavaas for any reason, including age, caste, etc. You must show respect to them all.
18. When you rise from your bed meditate upon your ancestral line of AchAryAs.
19. In front of the sanctum of our Lord, amongst sri vaishnavaas utter the words of dvayam - mentally (Do not utter loudly, as they are rahaysyams)
20. Praise the auspicious qualities of our Lord and AchAryAs.
21 and 22. Welcome sri vaishnavas with open arms and praise. Do not praise ordinary people for the sake of material gain.
23. Pay respect when you see the gOpuram of a temple.
24 - 25. Have undying faith in Lord Vishnu.
26. Do not find fault with praise of the Lord or devotees.
27 - 29. Pay at most respect to sri vaishnavaas.
30 & 31. Among sri vaishnavaas do not discriminate between poor and rich.
32. Ignore the faults and praise the virtues of sri vasihnavaas.
33 - 35. Consume Sri paadha theertham with respect.
36. Do not consider yourself as equal to other devotees. Think of yourself as their servant.
37 - 39. To purify your sins consume the sri paatha theertham of great saints. For this, do not consider the caste of those saints.
40 & 41. Duties of families. (Not described in the text)
42 - 44. Visiting temples and securing prasaadam is important.
45. Do not boast about your virtues.
46. Do not scorn a devotee.
47. Do not ignore serving devotees.
48. Praise the auspicious qualities of the Lord daily.
49. Recite prabhandams like thiruvaaymozhi daily.
50 - 58. Do not associate with the ones who only pretend to be sri vaihnvaas. Do not associate with the ones who find faults with others. Do not even look upon those who belittle devotees. Associate with those who wish to surrender to the Lord.
59 & 60. Ignore the harsh words of other sri vaishnvaas. Always do good to them.
(From this point onwards I am unable to give numerical listing as the original text does not give the numerical ordering.)
Do not think of the deities of the Lord as just stone or wood. (my note: In as much as we give respect to the cloth (the flag of a nation) as the nation itself, we need to consider the Divya mangaLa vigraham as the transcendental form of Emperumaan Sriya:pathih Sriman Narayanan Himself.)
Do not think of your guru (AchArya) as just an ordinary person. Even simply saying out loud the caste of a sri vasihnavaas is a sin.
Do not consider anything related to our Lord as ordinary. There is nothing greater than making our Lord and his devotees happy. Insulting a devotee is a greater sin than not praying to the Lord. Your duty is to surrender to our Lord. Try to live in Thiru naaraayanapuram (mElkOte) at least for some time. If you are unable to, where ever you are, live with dvayam in your tongue. If you are unable to do even this, serve other srivaishnavaas.
A note on relation of Numbers connected with Swamy Ramanuja's charitram/life history
One or the Number 1 occupies the superior position among the numbers & in fact denotes the one and only position or uniqueness
a)Ramanuja is the one and only to be revered with the title "Swamy"
b)Swami Ramanuja was the only acharya to whom the Lord Ranganatha submitted his Vibuthis (Nithya Vibuthi & Leela Vibuthi) through which the power of granting moksham
c) Swamy Ramanuja was the only acharya whom Nammlwar acknowledged and spoke about in Thiruvaimozhi through the verses "Poliga Poliga......................."
d)Swamy Ramanuja was the only acharya, whose vigraham came up as "Bavishyat Acharyan" even before Swami Ramanuja was born, and held by all our poorvacharyas in their Thiruvaradhanam(worship)
2)The Number 2:- Among many sishyas (that is 700 yathis(sanyasis) and 12,000 bhagavathas, only 2 were considered as Thandam and Pavitram , that is Mudaliyandan was his Thandam and Koorthalwan was his Pavitram.
3)The Number 3:- Aalavandhar wanted to initiate Swamy Ramanuja for Darsana Nirvaham, but unfortunately Aalavandhar left for parmapadham, without meeting Swami Ramanuja, he had 3 wishes to be fulfilled represented by his 3 folded fingers & wanted Swamy Ramanuja to fulfill the same, they are
a)To write a commentary for Bramha Sutram by Veda Vyasa according to Bodhaya Vritti from the angle of Visistadwaitha
b)To propagate Sri Nammalwar's prabandham as Alavandhar had a great desire for Nammalwar
c)To perpetuate the memory of Veda Vyasa and Parasara
and Swami Ramanuja's vows to fulfill all the 3wishes before the charma thirumeni of Alavandhar & fulfills the same in his life time
4)The Number 4:-The yugas are 4 in number, Adisheshan or Ananthan has taken different avatars in different yugas
"Anantah Prathamam Roopam, Threthaya Lakshmanascha Tathah
Dwapare Balabadrascha Kalou Kaschit Bavishyathi"
The meaning of this shloka
In Krith yuga (1st) it is Aadi Seshan the Snake Bed of the Lord
In Treta yuga (2nd) it was Lakshmana, brother of Lord Rama
In Dwapara yuga (3rd) it was Balarama, brother of Sri Krishna
In Kali yuga (4th) it is Swami Ramanuja,
From the above verses it is clear that Swami Ramanuja is the avatharm of Adiseshan
5)The Number 5:- Emperumanaar had 5 acharyas to his credit, earning him the title "Panchacharya Padasrayah". Swamy learnt
a)from Periya Nambi - panchasamskaram, Rahasyarthams & Gita
b)from Periya Thirumalai Nambi - Sri Ramayanam Viseshartham
c)from Thirukoshtiyoor Nambi - Charma slokam
d)from Thirumalai Aandaan- Bhagawad Vishyam
e)from Thiruvaranga Perumal Arayar - Dravida Ganam
6)The number 6:- In the life story of Swamy Ramanuja, swamy requests Thirukkacchi Nambi to clear certain doubts on truths, where in 6 words were uttered by Lord Varadhar of Kanchi to be communicated to Swami Ramanuja by Thirukkachi Nambi, they are
a)Ahameva paramtatvam (I am the supreme truth)
b)Darsanam Bhedha eve acha (Sri Vaishnavam is based on thatva thryam - chit,achit & eeswara)
c)Upayesu Prapattissyat (By faith & surrender shall men reach me their salvation)
d)Antima Smriti Varjanam (Thought of me at the time of death is not compulsory)
e)Dehasvasane Mukthisyaat (Release from bondage follows immediately on death of body)
f)Poornacharya Samashraya(Choose Mahapurna as your acharya)
7)The number 7:- Swamy Ramanuja and the Lord of 7 hills Thiruvengadamudayan share a unique bondage
a) It was Swamy Ramanuja who restored the Sangu & Chakra, to the lord of seven hills @ Tirumala, previously when they are given by the lord to the King Thondaiman Chakravarthy. And people started believing the lord on the hills was Shiva/Skanda/Durga, it is the unmatchable kainkaryam of swamy, that we Sri Vaishnavas have the lord @ Tirumala. today. That is why we sing the Kattiyam of Ramanuja as "Appanukku Sanghu Aazhi Allitha Perumal"
b)To execute the verses of Nammalwar "Sindhu Poo Magizhum Thiruvengadam". Swamy Ramanuja sent one of his sishyas Ananthalwan Pillai to establish a Nanadhavanam @ Tirumala, one can even see the Nandhavanam (garden) today there named "Ramanuja Nandhavanam", which also holds in it the Thiruvarasu (brindavanam) of Swamy Ananthalwan Pillai.
c)It was Swami who laid down the regulations to be followed in executing kainkaryms to Thiruvengadamudayan like Friday thirumanjanam,(recital of Nacchiyar Thirumozhi during the thirumanjanm) Thomala Sevai & appointed Peria Kelvi Appan Jeeyar of Tirumala to supervise the same.
d)Even today one can see Swami Ramanuja's vigraham in Tirumala with Upadesa/Gyana Mudra because Swami here is acharyan to Thiruvengadamudayan himself
8)The number 8:- The mention of number 8, brings to our immediate thought the 8 lettered mantra "Ashtakshari".(which is made up of Pranavam, Namha & Narayana) the inner meanings of these 3 syllables denote "Ananyarha Seshatvam" i,e subservience to none, but the lord, "Ananya Sharanathvam" i,e there is no upaya to jeevathama other than the lord Sriman Narayana & "Ananya Bhogyathvam" i,e Jeeva's kainkaryam is only for the pleasure of the lord, these are the inner meanings of the "Ashtakshari Mantra"
Swamy Manvala Mamunigal in Yatiraja Vimshati prays to the lotus feet of Swamy Ramanuja, to grant the devotion towards inner meanings of three syllables of the 8 lettered "Ashtakshari Mantra", not only in knowing them but also to live/practice according to them. Thus we understand, we require Emperumanaar's grace to understand Emperumaan.
9) The number 9:- Udayavar blessed us with his great 9 works
a)Vedartha Sangraham (the resume of Vedantha)
b)Shree Bashyam (Commentary on Bramha Sutras)
c)Vedantha Saara ( essence of Vedantha) an appendix to Sri Bashya
d)Vedantha Deepa (the light of Vedantha) another appendix to Sri Bashya
e)Git Bashya (his commentary of Bhagavad Geetha)
f)Nitha Grandham (About day to day activities to be performed by Sri Vaishnavas)
g)Saranagathi Gadyam (A dialogue between Ramanuja Perumal & Piratti where Swami petitions Sri Lakshmi to recommend to the lord to give him grace, both Perumal & Piratti accept Swami's surrender)
h)Sri Ranga Gadyam (a Prayer of surrender to the feet of Sri Ranganatha)
i)Vaikunta Gadyam (describing in detail Sri Vaikutam & recommending meditating it)
The number 10:- Swamy Ramanuja travelled wide far through the Bharatha Desam propagating Visisthadwaitha siddantham, out of them, the following can be categorized as places of interest with relative to swami's charitram
1)Aazhwar Thirnagari (Swami appeared here as Bavishyat Acharyan even before his physical birth in this earth)
2)Thiruvallikeni (The place where the parents of Swamy did penance for his birth, and the Lord Venkata Krishnan/Partha Sarathy himself incarnated as Swamy Ramanuja)
3)Sri Perumbudur (The avathara sthalam of swamy Ramanuja)
4)Madhuranthakam (Spiritual birth/got panchasamskaram from Periya Nambi)
5)Kanchipuram (Swamy entered Sanyasa Ashrama)
6)Sri Rangam (From here Swamy didSri Vaishnava Darsana Nirvaham)
7)Thirukoshtiyoor (Walked 18 times from Sri Rangam to here( approximately 120 kms) to get Charmaslokam & other Rahasyarthas from Thirukottiyoor Nambi )
8)Melkote (Reinstalled Moolavar Thirunarayanan and Utsavar Selva Pillai)
9)Tirumala (Restored the Sangu & chakra to the lord)
10)Thirukurrungudi (became acharya to the lord himself & lord earned the title "Vaishnava Nambi")
Thus greatness of Swamy Ramanuja cannot be measured, adiyen concludes with the words of Swamy Manavala Mamunigal
"Enai Phol Pizhai Seivar Ivvulagil Undoo?
Unai Phol Porukka Vallar Undoo?
Anaithu Ulagam Vazh Pirandha Ethirja Mamuniva
Yezhaikku Erungai Ene"
The above are from various sources and messages I came across which are shared with you
"Who can commit more mistakes than me?
Who can be merciful than you(no one even in Paramapadham)?
Oh! Ethirja ! your birth was the spiritual upliftment of jeevas in this universe, please grace on my poor-self (one who is bonded in samsara)"